Thursday, April 19, 2012

Round 3 - Kimchi Juice Fermented Salami

I had a little time to kill last night and 3lbs of Tails and Trotters ground pork ( 70:30 ratio) in the man fridge, so I thought I'd make some salami.

pretty simple recipe ( I converted grams to tablespoons for this one )

3lbs ground pork
2 TBSP Kosher Salt
3/4 TBS Instacure #2(long term curing salt )
1/2 cup Le Nez Oregon Pinot Noir ( it was open :)
3TBSP crushed Red Pepper
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic.
4 tbsp kimchi juice ( thank you Peter)

Mixed it up, drank the rest of the Pinot, and stuffed them into hog middles, squeezed and poked them, tied them up and now into the ghetto fermenter for 2 days before hanging in the man cave(  I mean "curing chamber" )

I'm going to do a 2lb batch tomorrow with some aniseseed, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and pepper.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I have been looking all over your website to find an email address for you, but so far no luck. I am trying to find out if you know anyone who could help my friend who is trying to find a local person (Portland/Vancouver) who is knowledgeable about and willing to make dryable (non-boiled) wild game salami. Haven't had much luck so far, but hoping you might have some leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sandy. I'm happy to help, and I'd love to try some cured wild game salami ( I'll make it in exchange for a good split )

    toddmerkel@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete