Friday, April 9, 2010

Tails and Trotters Jowl Bacon - Finished!

One week later, and Kapow!!! Beautiful Jowl Bacon.





I'm sure in the future, I'll make Guanciale, but for now, I'm super happy with the outcome ( as is JDub who stopped by to drop off a tent I'll need for a ski mountaineering trip this weekend ... I gave him a nice chunk just cause I'm a nice guy.. good timing JDub)



So here it is... nice and smoky, well cured.. hopefully not too salty.

I totally forgot to finish it in the oven for 1 hour at 150degrees, but I think it will still be fine. 

It's all shrink wrapped and in the freezer... except for one piece in the fridge for some schweet pasta carbonara next week.

So give this one a try... any butcher at your local store can get you jowls.. or if you want a real treat, stop by tails and trotters at the PSU farmers market and tell Morgan you'd like to get a set of his hazlenut finished jowls.. or just go to the T&T Website

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! And I'm not just saying that as a way to contact you to ask you if you would share your recipe for fennelcello as mentioned in a comment on Good Stuff NW (http://goodstuffnw.blogspot.com/2010/03/in-season-nw-little-limoncello.html).

    I had a great fennelcello at Belly on a visit to Portland last November, and have been pondering a batch ever since. Guidance would be most welcome!

    Thanks for your time... Kim in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim in Austin ( one of my fav cities.. I lived in the embassy suites on Town Lake for a year when I was working for IBM down there ).

    Fennelcello recipe is identical to Limoncello...just substitute whole fennel seeds... preferably wild fennel you've grown yourself or picked down the street ).

    Fennelcello is freaking awesome in the hot summer, right after the sun goes down and your friends have just come over for some good food and conversation...

    enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete