Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lamb Proscuitto

Something I've always loved, but don't often see in stores, is Lamb Proscuitto.

What's not to love? Lamb and Proscuitto, all in one.

So about a month ago, I decided to give it a go.

I'm going to give you the specifics and then attach a few pics.

I'm doing 2 legs now, One for me, and one for a fan of PCP, who we'll give the secret name Paul H.

On Jan 28, 2010, I started with an Anderson Farms whole lamb leg. ( 6.5lbs )... it's a beauty and almost went into JDubs Traeger.

Cure Mix:
9 TBSP Kosher Salt
6 TBSP Sugar
1 TSP Cure #2
1 TSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
2 TBSP chopped fresh Rosemary
I split the cure into 2 halves, and then applied one half to the leg, placed it in a tupperware container and
then put in my "man fridge" to cure

On Feb 15, 2010 I drained the liquid in the container,  took the remaining half and applied it to the leg.










On March 2nd, 2010 I pulled the leg out, rinsed it well, then hung it in my curing chamber ( approx 55degrees F, 70% Humidity ) for 30-45 days to finish.  I'll expect it to lose about 30% of it's weight before it's fnished. 

Stay tuned for our next post, when I'll provide an update, and hopefully a taste test with some great Oregon Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment